The Monument to the Great Fire of London, more commonly known simply as the Monument, is a stone Roman Doric column in the City of London, near the northern end of London Bridge, which commemorates the Great Fire of London.
It stands at the junction of Monument Street and Fish Street Hill, 202 ft (62 m) tall and 202 ft (62 m) from the place where the Great Fire started on 2 September 1666. Constructed between 1671 and 1677, it is the tallest isolated stone column in the world.
Hare & Humphreys Ltd carried out the re-gilding of the flaming orb, restoring its brilliant shine with the application of over 30,000 leaves of gold. Genuine 24 carat gold leaf was used in two layers, and applied in very exposed conditions by our expert gilders.
Hare and Humphreys advised on the preparation of the metal, and the paints and type of leaf to be used.