In 1985 the Rothschild Foundation began the process of restoring Spencer House to its former glory. For many years the property was let to various tenants and consequently many of the state rooms had been subdivided, and in doing so many of the original features had been removed or covered over. The goal of the restoration was to re-instate these state rooms to their original layouts and decoration schemes.
Using architectural paint research, records and drawings from the Spencer Family archives Hare & Humphreys recreated the paint and gilding scheme of the 1790’s under the direction of David Mlinaric. The restoration of these rooms has led to a lasting relationship between the Spencer House team and H&H that continues to today.