The Royal Academy’s home since 1867 is Burlington House, a magnificent listed building at the heart of London’s West End.
The main building is at the northern end of the courtyard and houses the Royal Academy, while five learned societies occupy the two wings on the east and west sides of the courtyard and the Piccadilly wing at the southern end. These societies, collectively known as the Courtyard Societies are the Geological and Linnean Societies of London, Royal Astronomical Society, Royal Society of Chemistry and Society of Antiquaries of London.
However in 2004 the principal reception rooms on the piano nobile were opened to the public after restoration as the “John Madejski Fine Rooms”. They contain many of the principal works in the academy’s permanent collection. Inside, he remodelled the ﬁrst ﬂoor to create a suite of grand rooms and summoned the painter William Kent from Rome to embellish them. Kent introduced the gusto italiano (‘Italian style’) into England by providing two ceiling paintings, a cove decoration in the Saloon and much heavily gilded, carved-wood and plaster ornament.